We are excited to offer a CSA membership option to our customers for the first time in 2020.
For anyone unfamiliar with CSA’s: CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Many different variations of CSA programs exist all over the country, and the concept has been around for a long time, but was popularized in the 80’s. It’s a great benefit to farmers because it allows community members to support the farm and provide the farmers with some cash flow to start their next season by purchasing and paying for their share in one lump sum during the less productive winter months.
For customers, it’s a great way to support your farmer, ensure that you’ll have a steady supply of delicious, local, chemical-free vegetables all season, and have an opportunity to try new veggies that you may not necessarily chose for yourself at the market.
Here’s a quick run-down of how our CSA program is going to be structured in year one:
- You will receive shares for 20 weeks- roughly late-May- mid-October
- We will offer shares that will include 5-7 veggies per week.
- We will have a partial choice system in place, where you will have options among groups of veggies each week- for example: instead of us choosing which root vegetable you’ll get, you’ll be able to pick between radishes, beets, carrots or turnips each week.
- We will have 3 pick up points, one in Cumberland, one in Frostburg and one in Accident.
- In addition to veggies there will be various “add-on” options including things like honey, flowers, and eggs (for an additional cost).
Here’s a breakdown of the value of the shares:
Half Share- 20 weeks, 5-7 vegetables per week: $250/20 weeks= $12.50/week. That means your getting 5-7 fresh vegetables for only $12.50/week. That’s an average of less than $2.50 per vegetable. A half share is great for a household of 1-3.