CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is a membership program for the farm. Many different variations of CSA programs exist all over the country, and the concept has been around for a long time, but was popularized in the 80’s. It’s a great benefit to farmers because it allows community members to support the farm and provide the farmers with some cash flow to start their next season by purchasing and paying for their share in one lump sum during the less productive winter months.
For customers, it’s a great way to support your farmer, ensure that you’ll have a steady supply of delicious, local, chemical-free vegetables all season, and have an opportunity to try new veggies that you may not necessarily chose for yourself at the market.
The 2020 CSA season has come to a close. Thank you to our first year members!
We learned a lot in our first trial year, and we have plans to do some restructuring for the 2021 season. Here’s the plan:
- You will receive shares for 24 weeks- roughly late-May- late-October
- We will offer shares that will include 7-9 veggies per week.
- We will have a free choice system, where you can choose your favorite vegetables each week. If we have a surplus of a certain vegetable we may choose to have each member receive that item, giving you a chance to try something new!
- We will have 3 pick up points, one in Cumberland, one in Frostburg and one in Accident (we’re open to establishing additional pick up locations if we have a lot of demand).
- In addition to veggies there will be various “add-on” options including things like honey, flowers, eggs, cheese, microgreens, bread, and protein options like chicken, pork and beef (for an additional cost).
** We’re also considering a new half share option, which would allow members to pick up EVERY OTHER week, for those that have smaller families/households and feel that 7-9 veggies per week would be too much. If there is enough demand we’ll move forward with this option.
Here’s a breakdown of the value of the shares:
The fee for the season-long membership will be $450, which comes out to about $19 worth of vegetables per week, or about $2/vegetable, which is an overall discount from our regular market prices. So, you save by subscribing for the season, and you get first dibs on everything we’re picking.
We’re accepting new members for the 2021 season. You can reserve your spot now by clicking the link below and joining our waitlist.