CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is a membership program for the farm. Many different variations of CSA programs exist all over the country, and the concept has been around for a long time, but was popularized in the 80’s. It’s a great benefit to farmers because it allows community members to support the farm by providing the cash flow to start the next season by purchasing and paying for their share in one lump sum during the less productive winter months.
For customers, it’s a great way to support a local business, ensure that you’ll have a steady supply of delicious, local, chemical-free vegetables all season, and have an opportunity to try new veggies that you may not necessarily chose for yourself at the market. Also, as a member of the farm, you are privy to the inner-workings of the farm, have volunteer opportunities, a say in decision-making, and a close connection with your food and those who grow it!
We learned a lot in our first trial year, and we have plans to do some restructuring for the 2021 season. Here’s the plan:
- You will receive weekly shares for 25 weeks– late May- late October
- The weekly shares will include 7-9 veggies per week, depending on availability (most weeks will have 8 or 9!)
- We will have a free choice system, where you can choose your favorite vegetables each week. If we have a surplus of a certain vegetable we may choose to have each member receive that item, giving you a chance to try something new!
- We will have 3 pick up points, one in Cumberland, one in Frostburg and one in Accident (we’re open to establishing additional pick up locations if we have a lot of demand).
- Shares will be packed in cooler bags with our logo and your name. Each member gets 2 complimentary cooler bags.
- In addition to veggies there will be various “add-on” options including things like honey, flowers, eggs, cheese, microgreens, bread, and protein options like chicken, pork and beef (for an additional cost).
** We’re also now offering a new bi-weekly share option, which would allow members to pick up EVERY OTHER week, for those that have smaller families/households and feel that 7-9 veggies per week would be too much.
Here’s a breakdown of the value of the shares:
The fee for the season-long membership will be $500, which comes out to about $20 worth of vegetables per week, or about $2/vegetable, which is an overall discount from our regular market prices. So, you save by subscribing for the season, AND you get first dibs on everything we’re picking.
We’re accepting new members for the 2021 season. You can reserve your spot now by clicking the link below. We are almost full, so don’t wait!
What our members are saying:
“I love that you helped us to try foods that we don’t normally eat. I enjoyed opening my bag and seeing all of the great foods and preparing our menu for the week off of our bounty. Lastly, it was wonderful getting to meet you all and eating more locally”. – 2020 member
“Love the variety and veggies new to us (swiss chard, bok choy, kohlrabi) and all of the lettuce, particularly salanova. Eggs are wonderful, and love add-on breads. Really enjoy the Newsletter and the sample recipes”. – 2020 member
“Everything is put together so beautifully & efficiently. The items are so clean! Love the add-ons. Everyone is so happy and eager to please”. -2020 member
“Everything is always very fresh and it has expanded my cooking skills with the different varieties. I have tried so many different foods thanks to you all! It turns out that I love radishes and Swiss chard isn’t too bad. Plus, I’ve dropped a few pounds eating much better!” – 2020 member